Saturday, October 13, 2012

Abigail's Birthday (Part 2)

As promised although a little later than I'd hoped here's part two :)

We finally make our way into the grocery store. In the foyer of the store, I grab a cart and put Angel in the big part and Abigail in the little seat. We then don't make it through the next set of doors before Abigail begins to climb out of the little seat, into my arms, and then climb down the front of my body right onto the floor. "I want walk" She says in her cute little two year old voice. Rather than fight it I just let her walk. It's slower in the store so I figure I won't lose her in any crowds.

 First things first as we walk in the door, Angel says "Can I have a cookie, Mommy?" I tell her that we of course can.

Just as soon as little Abigail's two year old ears hear this she starts yelling "Cookie! Cookie! I want Cookie! Want one!! Want one! Coookie!! Mommy! Mommy! Mama! Mama! Mom! Mommy! Mommmmmmmyyyyy Cooookiieee!!..." That continues right up until the cookie is in her hand.

And now after being at the grocery store for over 30 minutes and cookies in hand I can begin shopping. I pull out my list and get right to work starting in the bakery section and working my way down trying to be patient as little Abigail chews on a cookie, while staring into space, and walking three steps... five steps... 10 steps... behin... wait! Where did she go?? Where is she??

"Abigail?!?!"

There's really not too many people in the store, and I'm able to successfully follow her cookie crumbs to a few isles over. I grab her and what I need from that isle. "Out!" She screams as I hold her over my shoulder like a sack of potatoes. "I want out!!" She manages to wiggle her way down. "Abigail, stay with me. ok?" She gives me that little mischievousness grin of hers, turns around... and runs!

Meanwhile Angel is still in the cart... being.. Angel.

I run out of the isle we are in and to the main isle between the registers and the groceries. I'm standing at isle 2. I look down and she's at isle 12!! Luckily for me all the employees at this store know me and know my kids, and I see one of them reach out for her. She giggles and slides right past their grasp. Now me and another employee are chasing my two year old around the store. Once she is finally in my arms again she starts wigging her way back to the floor. I knew this wasn't going to work out. She's two now. She talks now, and she understands now, so I got down and held her face so her eyes met mine "Abigail." I said in my mommy means business voice "You have to stay with me or you have to ride with big sister! Do you understand me?"

Abigail replied with "bugabuga abba abba giddle giddle do do da... I... Baby... I... Know"

She then grabbed the bottom of the cart and said "push, Ad-jole(Angel)" Now we are getting somewhere. For the next 5-10 minutes things were working out great. Abigail is helping push, but then she decides to help me shop! She started grabbing anything she could get her hands on to throw onto Angel! "Abigail, we don't need that! Abigail! Put that back!" Each time saying "I want this!" Of course she was grabbing weird things too like olive oil and corn starch...

We do finally make it through shopping, but our trip is not yet over. We still have to wait for Cory. After we had the groceries in the car we had just a minute or so before Cory got off work. I knew we could freely walk around the store now and I could keep a really great eye on her. Unfortunately instead of a nice stroll through the store it turned into "Abigail! Stop! No! Put that down! Don't you run from me!!"

After about 10 minutes of that I thought it might be best to sit in the break room with some coloring books and crayons. Once we sat down Abigail found a back of chips and starts chomping away. I have no idea who they belonged to, but hey, they left a half full back of chips sitting on the break room table!

Angel starts coloring saying "Look at my pretty picture mommy!" Abigail starts scribbling very harshly on her paper and says "Adigadiga bebo bee bo... pretty! Mommy! Loook! Mommy! SEE??" I assure them they are both gorgeous pictures. Now that it's calmed down I decide to play a game on my phone while we wait. Just as my game loads I hear Angel say "Mommy! Abigail is eating a crayon! I look up and see little specs of black around her mouth and all over her tongue as she's spitting and spewing black crayon particles. I get up to grab a wet napkin to clean her up and while I've stepped away I look back back at the table only to find black scribbles all over the table!

Ok.. time to put the crayons away and leave the break room!

We head towards the bakery to see how my brother is doing. While I'm chatting, Angel is looking at cakes, and Abigail has made a fortress of solitude underneath the bakery display tables. She sits and watched the customers pick out bread and sweet treats. I've got a nice spot where I can stand and chat while watching her... We stayed there for the next 20 minutes while we waited for daddy... Yes.. my baby has turned... two...

1 comment:

  1. Oh Justinn as I sit in the few minutes of quiet I will have all day drink my coffee and read your blog I can't help but giggle. I can completely relate to you being a mother of seven. I have very similar experiences recently with my little ones. I can assure as quick as it irritates, frustrates and draws attention to you you will look at your girls in high school and wonder where that precious giggle and smile went, as well as the time where you could still pick them up and hug them.

    ReplyDelete