Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Abigail's Birthday (Part 1)

I have two children. Angel who is six and in the first grade and Abigail who turned two yesterday. We had a small get together for her the day before yesterday with just a few family members to enjoy each others company and celebrate her bouncing through another year... Now anyone who has ever read any of my blogs where I mention Abigail you should know by now what I mean when I say bouncy...

Before I continue let me bring up my little Angel. When she was two we lived in a tourist trap of a community thanks to our beautiful beaches and almost each day we'd go to our local grocery store where little Angel would buy herself a banana and walk around the store eating it so calmly by my side. Everyone would great her and say hello. Most times my shy little Angel would hide behind my leg. After she would finish her banana she would hold on the the peel until we were near a trash can where she would reach up on her toes to dispose of it... I always heard of this saying called "the terrible twos" but in 2008 I thought this saying to be only a rumor.. and then.. well.. did I mention yesterday Abigail turned two??

Due to a few past shopping experiences I very VERY rarely take Abigail with me to the grocery store..  or really ANYWHERE for that matter..

While I once had my whole week organized and down to a science almost about how much money I spent and where I spent it, what days and how (based on sales, my budget and Abigail's nap schedule), I recently started back to work decorating cakes professionally for a very well established bakery in my area. This of course completely changed my typical routine... and hers... Now I shop when and where I have the time and energy to.

Yesterday after I got off work I came home only to realize that my cabinets were bare.  Because of Abigail's birthday get together, I had forgotten to do my grocery shopping over the weekend like I would have typically done, so I decided that once Angel got off the bus we would go to the store. This plan seemed fine, so I got Abigail all ready to go and we waited on the porch. My brother, Marc, who is car-less and staying with me right now came out to see if he could get a ride to work. (He just started working at the same grocery store as my husband, Cory) Sure, of course. We could all ride together and since Cory is getting off the same time that Marc is going in I'll just ride home with Cory. Angel gets off the bus. We load up and all is well.

When we get to the store I look behind me and see not one, but two sleeping children. Angel I knew wouldn't be a problem, but Abigail loves her sleep and gets very angry when you wake her up. I did what I had to do though. With Marc immediately gone to get ready for work I gently pick up Abigail and rest her head on my shoulder. The car door woke up Angel who simply climbed out and began walking to the front door.

Abigail's eyes open and she sees her big sister walking beside us. She starts squirming her little body out from my arms yelling "out! out!" I put her down on the side walk and look and Angel who is walking... bare foot...

"Angel, where are your shoes??" I asked
"I took them off in the car" She said
"You have to wear shoes. Go get them. Abigail stay here with us."

As Angel heads back to get her shoes I look up and see Abigail standing there staring at me with her most adorable mischievousness grin. Her body slowly turning the other direction. "Don't you run, Abigail!" I yell.

"Mommy, don't leave me!" Angel says

"I'm not! get your shoes! Abigail! Get back here!"

So I'm chasing Abigail while keeping my head turned towards Angel. I grab her and run back to Angel who gets her shoes. "Mommy let's find a bench for me to sit on to put on my shoes" she says. I'm fine with that. I'm patient. Let's do that. I'm holding Abigail who has now wiggled so much that I'm holding her side ways on my hip with my arm around her waste. Her feet are dangling behind me. Her little hands are clutching at my arm and she is yelling "Out! Out!" (That's her way of saying put me down).. Let me point out that we haven't even made it into the front door yet!

Abigail manages to wiggle out of my arms and takes off.. I start to chase her as Angel yells "Mommy! Wait! Mommy wait for me!"

"Hurry, Angel! I've got to get your sister!!"

and now that Abigail is waking up for the morning this story will be continued later... at nap time...


No comments:

Post a Comment